About the Institute
The Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (FZU) is a public research institution, focusing on basic and applied research in physics. FZU is the largest of the institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences with more than 1300 employees, including a considerable number of international workers. The ambition of FZU is to push forward the boundaries of knowledge and to conduct first-rate research in the fields of elementary particles, condensed systems and solid particles, optics, plasma physics and laser physics.
We are looking for a new colleague to join the LISA project team at the position of:
Mechanical Engineer – Space Applications
FZU is collaborating on space mission LISA, which will detect gravitational waves. FZU is contributing to mission critical space hardware – especially to piezo mechanisms, their development and tests. The participation in other space missions is currently under a discussion. The work is typically done in cooperation with other institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences and technological companies in the Czech Republic.
- Gathering technical requirements, communication with local and international partners, both industrial and academic.
- Participate on conceptual designs of space mechanisms with special focus on redundancy, thermal stability, vibrations etc.
- Participate on design iterations of precise mechanisms based on piezo technology and flexure hinges. Other principles are also under investigation.
- Basic thermal and vibration calculations using FEM methods, cooperation with FEM specialists during design iterations.
- Participation on mechanism stability/resolution measurement method development, design of test stands, participation in measurements.
- Master degree in mechanical engineering, physics or similar.
- Experience with 3D design using some of the CAD systems.
- Experience with FEM calculations using some of the specialized software packages.
- Experience with precision mechanics design.
- Experience with piezo technology.
- English language – advanced in reading, writing, communicating.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Good team-working skills.
- Driving licence.
- Space mechanisms development experience is an advantage.
Why should you apply?
- Working in an international, creative and highly motivated environment.
- Cutting-edge research topics with high application potential.
- Working in a multidisciplinary research team.
- Stimulating and friendly supervising and mentoring environment.
- Unique research facilities.
- Training and development possibilities (seminars, workshops, conferences).
- Soft skills trainings (project management, grant applications, etc.).
- Language courses.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible working hours.
- And more benefits such as Multisport card, meal vouchers, cooperate kindergarten, etc.
Terms of employment:
The initial period of employment is 1 year (further extension is then possible and expected), starting as soon as possible, depending of the availability of the applicant.
Please send a motivation letter, your CV, a list of publications and two references to the contact person below.