FZU is a leading public research institution located in Prague (Czech Republic), that is focused on fundamental and applied research in physics. FZU is the largest institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences with more than 1300 employees. At the Department of Optical and Biophysical Systems, we conduct cutting edge research in the areas of innovative coating materials, biomedical applications, and advanced optical techniques, with extensive national and international collaborations with academia and industry. We offer an international, cooperative, and multidisciplinary research environment that allows to tackle problems from different perspectives and go beyond the obvious.
A newly formed Biophotonics research group at the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences is looking for PhD students and Postdocs with interest in single-molecule imaging methods. We are developing a next-generation life science tool that will enable studies of biomolecular interactions at the single molecule level. The project will build on the principles of Nanofluidic Scattering Microscopy  – a unique label-free single-molecule microscopy technique that has been recently established. The results of the project will make key contributions towards understanding of the fundamental molecular building blocks of life, which is needed both in fundamental research as well as in biomedical industry.
You will be a member of a multidisciplinary scientific team solving a variety of problems in the field of single-molecule microscopy and nanofluidics. Dependent on your background and research interest, you will focus on the development of the optical setup, nano-fluidic systems, image processing, or data analysis, and furthermore, you will be involved in theoretical and/or experimental investigations of biomolecular processes at the single-molecule level.
 B. Špačková, et al: Nanofluidic Scattering Microscopy for label-free weight and size screening of single diffusing biomolecules, Nature Methods, 2022.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Physics, Biophysics, Biochemistry, or related field
- Previous experience in optical microscopy, bioanalytical techniques, micro/nano-fluidics, or scientific instrumentation development
- Creativity and analytical thinking
- Sound verbal and written communication skills in English
- Working in an international, creative, collaborative, and friendly environment of the newly established research group
- Cutting-edge research topics with high application potential
- Stimulating supervision supporting creative freedom
- Unique research facilities
- Training and development possibilities (soft skills, language courses)
- Active participation in international workshops and conferences
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Home office mode
- Benefits such as Multisport card, cooperate kindergarten, etc.
- More information is available at: Why FZU?
Terms of employment
The position is planned for 2 years for a PostDoc and 4 years for a PhD student with the possibility of an extension. The initial period of employment is 1 year.
Application procedure - deadline for applications June 30th.
For information related to the research contact the project supervisor Dr. Barbora Špačková: barboraspackova [at] fzu [dot] cz.
Please send a motivation letter, your CV, a list of publications and two references to petra [dot] kratochvilova [at] fzu [dot] cz.
For general information related to the employment contact our HR partner Petra Kratochvílová: petra [dot] kratochvilova [at] fzu [dot] cz.