We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated Ph.D. candidate with expertise in silicon anode materials who wants to push forward frontiers in material synthesis and energy storage technologies.
Join the Nanoscale Materials and Systems (NMS) group FZU and be at the forefront of cutting-edge battery technologies. You will be a key player in developing silicon-based anode materials for the future generation of Li-ion batteries. The successful candidate (m/f) will engage in material synthesis, harnessing the unique physical and electrochemical properties of novel Si nanomaterials in advanced energy storage technologies. You will contribute to the development of innovative battery solutions and address real-world challenges with the potential to reshape the global energy storage industry.
What you will do
- Conduct experiments in the interdisciplinary area of battery research at the boundary of material science, electrochemistry, physics, and engineering
- Synthesize novel electrode materials (Si nanomaterials and hybrid silicon/carbon materials) and electrolytes (aqueous, ionic-liquid, and solid-state)
- Develop and characterize new electrochemical energy storage devices (batteries and supercapacitors)
- Analyse data, maintain laboratory instruments, and implement new techniques/processes
- Foster collaboration and communication with other international partners, group members, students, and FZU staff
- Train/supervise students and other laboratory users
- Write research papers and present results at conferences
What we expect
- Master’s degree in physics, chemistry, engineering, or an equivalent combination of related education and relevant experience
- Theoretical and experimental background in nanomaterials and electrochemistry
- Previous experience with silicon synthesis, electrochemical characterization, electrode fabrication, and electrochemical cell assembly is beneficial
- Capacity to conduct research, develop innovative ideas, and drive projects forward
- Creative thinking and proactive problem-solving
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse team of researchers and students
- Eager to learn and share knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken)
What we offer
- Interesting work in cutting-edge research and development of new energy storage materials and devices
- Access to state-of-the-art research facilities (plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD), atomic layer deposition (ALD), electrochemical characterization setups, battery testers, impedance spectroscopy, operando Raman spectroscopy, EQCM, and XRD, elemental analysis (XPS and EDS), advanced electron microscopy facilities (SEM and TEM), and surface analytical tools (AFM/SPM))
- A competitive salary
- Participation in multidisciplinary scientific projects
- Working in an international team and a stimulating environment
- Training and development (seminars, workshops, conferences, high-quality language courses, soft skills training)
- Support of your work-life balance – flexible work hours, work from home, extended vacations
- In-house tennis/volleyball courts, table tennis
- And many more benefits such as a Multisport card, meal allowance, kindergarten operated by the Czech Academy of Sciences
It´s good to know
- Start of employment 1st June 2024
- 1-year contract (possible extension up to 4 years upon mutual agreement)
- We expect applications by: 31st March 2024
- Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending the following documents to Mrs. Monika Svobodova at svobodomo [at] fzu [dot] cz (svobodomo[at]fzu[dot]cz). Please send us a cover letter detailing career objectives and research interests, curriculum vitae (CV) including publications, two reference letters, and transcripts of degrees/diplomas.
- For additional information, please contact Dr. Jiri Cervenka (cervenka [at] fzu [dot] cz).
We look forward to hearing from you!
FZU – Institute of Physics of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic is a leading public research institution based in Prague. FZU is the largest institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic with more than 1100 employees and focuses on basic and applied research in the field of physics. Our top researchers strive to understand and explain the basic phenomena and processes of how the world works and thus respond to the current scientific and technical challenges of our society.
As an employer, FZU supports equal opportunities and diversity. This approach helps to foster a positive work culture and creates a supportive environment for all employees. The principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion are embedded in our policies and hiring practices, providing a solid foundation for fair selection processes.
GDPR – protection of your personal data
We would like to inform you that by sending a reply to the advertisement, you provide the relevant administrator with your personal data for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure and concluding an employment contract or agreement (DPP, DPC) regarding the position you have chosen. This processing of your personal data will be carried out on the legal basis of the performance of a contract pursuant to Article 6 para. 1 lit. b) the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your personal data will be processed only to the extent necessary and only for the duration of the selection procedure for the given position. The processing of your personal data will be sufficiently secured, your personal data will not be passed on to third parties without your consent. In accordance with applicable law, we inform you that you have the right to (i) access your personal data, (ii) correct or complete inaccurate or false personal data, (iii) to erasure of personal data, (iv) to restrict the processing of personal data in special cases, (v) to data portability, (vi) to object to processing and (vii) to contact the Office for Personal Data Protection.