The tactile/vibrotactile feedback is widely used as a powerful information source in human-computer interaction. Besides general-purpose communication (as in mobile devices), usually provided by electromagnetic actuators, there are possibilities to create more rich and complex tactile experiences using alternative smart material technologies. Examples are electrically controlled materials like piezoceramics, shape memory alloys, dielectric elastomers, and magnetically actuated materials such as magnetorheological elastomers and fluids, magnetostrictive and magnetic shape memory (MSM) alloys.
It was recently shown that friction between the human finger and the input surface can be altered by application of the ultrasonic vibrations . Basic lateral vibrotactile haptic feedback device based on MSM actuators was presented by Dr. Saren during ACUTATOR 2018 conference. The working principle of that prototype is presented in the video .
In the current work you are proposed to hybridize two ideas with the goal to create human interface device (HID) with lateral guidance feedback. By changing the friction properties of the input screen (ultrasonic normal vibrations by piezoceramics) in synphase with the lateral motion of the input surface (MSM push-push actuator).
 Meyer, D.J., Wiertlewski, M., Peshkin, M.A. and Colgate, J.E., 2014, February. Dynamics of ultrasonic and electrostatic friction modulation for rendering texture on haptic surfaces. In 2014 IEEE Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS) (pp. 63-67). IEEE.
- Advanced electric engineering skills, programming, algorithmicising and hardware engineering.
- Knowledge of the basic physics (mechanics, electrics and optics).
- Completed bachelor’s degree or strong motivation to continue the work during the master’s in case of the last year of bachelor.
- Learn basics of drawing and 3D-modeling in Autodesk software.
- Get acknowledged with the physics of magnetic shape memory alloys and piezoceramics.
- Obtain experience in the development of HIDs based on smart material technologies.
- Learn how to conduct scientific experiments and tests involving human beings.