The basis of the activities of the Joint Laboratory of Optics (JLO) is performing scientific research in the areas of:
- quantum and nonlinear optics,
- laser and optical technologies,
- technologies and nanotechnologies of optical layers and surfaces,
- experimental particle and astroparticle physics,
- wave and ray optics.
JLO workers also guarantee and contribute to teaching in the following study programs:
- Applied physics (bachelor, master, doctoral),
- Nanotechnology (bachelor, master)
- Instrument physics (bachelor),
- Computer physics (bachelor),
- Optics and optoelectronics (bachelor, master, doctoral).
A number of topics for bachelor, master and doctoral theses are offered.
Besides these main activities, JLO ensures also:
- design and construction of optical and optoelectronic devices,
- contract research for customers from the applied sphere,
- service measurements by qualified personnel using modern instrument infrastructure,
- publishing of the journal Jemná mechanika a optika (Fine mechanics and optics),
- library of the SPIE Czech branch.